Friday, April 3, 2020

Day 33: The Priority of Prayer


Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. (Mark 1:35)

Prayer was a priority in Jesus' life. He got up early, went to a place by Himself, and sought the Father before He did anything else. He did not do work for the Father without being sure to set aside intentional time to be with the Father.

What a beautiful heart of prayer Jesus had, and still has, as He intercedes for us continually (Romans 8:24 & Hebrews 7:25).

Prayer is of utmost importance not because it gets us things from God, but because it gets us God Himself. Prayer enables us to know His heart. To hear His voice. To rest in His sweet sweet presence.

To Jesus, getting up early to spend time in prayer with the Father was a must. He did not do otherwise. He knew that He had to abide in the Father through prayer, and we are to abide in Him the same way.

God is not simply impressed with what we can do for Him. He knows that already. He knows the gifts and talents and abilities that He has placed on the inside of us. He is not impressed by those things.

What He is impressed by though, what really touches and speaks to His heart, is when we seek Him. When we spend time in prayer. When we pour out our hearts to Him and spend time soaking in His presence and listening to Him respond. It is our choosing to be with Him and abide in Him that He is impressed with. That is the real accomplishment.

It's not about the platforms and ministries and congregations and microphones. It is about intimacy with the One who created us. It is about us getting to know Him and spend time in His presence, wanting nothing more than just Him.

Prayer is such a sweet way to spend time with our Father. The One who made us loves to hear from us. He loves to hear our voices. He inclines His ear to hear. He bends down low so that He may hear our prayers.

If Jesus got up early in the morning to spend time with the Father, how much more should we? I find that no matter how early it is, if I actually get up and spend time in prayer (and resist the urge to sleep in a little longer) I absolutely never regret it. It is always worth it to make the sacrifice to spend time in His presence seeking His heart through prayer. And I can see such a difference in my days when I spend time seeking God's face first thing in the morning compared to when I don't.

May we seek the Lord more in this season. May we learn from the life of Jesus and see the place of priority that prayer should have in our lives. May we have deepened desires to pray, not because we needs things from Him, but because we simply need Him.

Oh, how greatly we need Him.

Songs to remind you of this:
Lord, I come, I confess
Bowing here I find my rest
Without You I fall apart
You're the One that guides my heart

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

Lord I find You in the seeking
Lord I find You in the doubt
And to know You is to love you
And to know so little else
I need You

Oh how I need You
Oh how I need You
Oh how I need You

Lord I find You in the morning
Lord I seek You everyday
Let my life be for Your glory
Woven in your threads of grace
I need You

Oh how I need You
Oh how I need You
Oh how I need You


May you be richly blessed,
Elisha